1603 W. Taylor St
Chicago, IL 60612
- Ph.D., Univ of Illinois at Chicago, 2008
Maternal and Child Health
- Ph.D., Univ of Illinois at Chicago, 2008
- Applied maternal and child health epidemiology, including women's preventive care, family planning, postpartum care, racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in adverse birth outcomes; Advanced analytic methods (e.g. multifactorial PAFs, propensity sc
- Pediatric Epidemiology, Intermediate Epidemiologic Methods, Advanced Analytic Methods in Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology
Public Health Practice Experience
- I conduct analytic capacity building activities with maternal and child health epidemiologists in state and local health departments in the form of ongoing training courses and ad hoc technical assistance. I also contribute to an evaluation of the Illinois Breast and Cervical Cancer Program.
- Collins Jr, J. W., Soskolne, G. R., Rankin, K. M., & Bennett, A. C. (2013). Differing first year mortality rates of term births to white, African-American, and Mexican-American US-born and foreign-born mothers. Maternal and child health journal, 17(10), 1776-1783.
- Lind C, Godfrey E, Rankin K, Handler A (2013). Likelihood of emergency contraception use among African-American women at risk of adverse birth outcomes. Maternal and Child Health Journal, August 2013 [Epub ahead of print].
- Lunde B, Rankin K, Chavez N, Harwood B (2013). Female Sterilization in Rural and Urban Women: An Analysis of the National Survey of Family Growth. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 122 (2 Pt1), 304-11.
- Castrillio, S. M., Rankin, K. M., David, R. J., & Collins Jr, J. W. (2014). Small-for-Gestational Age and Preterm Birth Across Generations: A Population-Based Study of Illinois Births. Maternal and child health journal, 1-9.
- Kominiarek MA, Rankin K, Handler A. Provider Adherence to Recommended Prenatal Care Content: Does It Differ for Obese Women? Maternal and Child Health Journal, August 4, 2013 [Epub ahead of print].
- Handler A, Rankin KM, Peacock N, Issel M. The Implementation of Interconception Care in Two Community Health Settings: Lessons Learned, American Journal of Health Promotion, 27(3 Suppl): eS21-eS31, Jan/Feb 2013.
- Rankin KM, Kroelinger CD, Rosenberg D, Barfield WD. Building analytic capacity, facilitating partnerships, and promoting data use in state health agencies: A distance-based workforce development initiative applied to maternal and child health epidemiology. Maternal and Child Health Journal 16:S196–S202, December 2012.
- Rosenberg D, Barfield W, Rankin K, Kroelinger CD. Increasing scientific and analytic capacity in states: extending epidemiology collaborations beyond traditional workforce development. Maternal and Child Health Journal 16:S193-S195, December 2012.
- Bennett AC, Rankin KM, Rosenberg D. Does Receiving Care in a Medical Home Mediate Racial Disparities in Unmet Healthcare Needs among Children with Special Healthcare Needs? Maternal and Child Health Journal 16 (2: Suppl2):S330–S338, December 2012.
- Handler A, Rankin K, Rosenberg D, Sinha K. Extent of Documented Adherence to Recommended Prenatal Care Content: Provider Site Differences and Effect on Outcome Among Low-Income Women. Maternal and Child Health Journal,16(2): 393-405, 2012.
- Test FS, Caskey R, Rankin KM. The Relationship between Receiving Care within a Medical Home and HPV Vaccine Receipt for Adolescent Girls: Results of the 2007 National Survey of Children’s Health. Maternal and Child Health Journal, Published online: March 14, 2012.
- Bennett AC, Brewer KC, Rankin KM. The Association of Child Mental Health Conditions and Parent Mental Health Status among U.S. Children, 2007. Maternal and Child Health Journal, Published online: September 24, 2011.
- Chor J, Rankin K, Harwood B, Handler A. Unintended pregnancy and postpartum contraceptive use in women with and without chronic medical disease who experienced a live birth. Contraception, 84:57-63, July 2011.
- Rankin KM, David RJ, Collins JW Jr. African-American Women's Exposure to Interpersonal Racial Discrimination in Public Settings and Preterm Birth: the Effect of Coping Behaviors. Ethnicity and Disease, 21(3): 370-6, July 2011.
- Collins, JW, Rankin KM, Bruett Hedstrom A. Exploring weathering: the relation of age to low birth weight among first generation and established United States-born Mexican-American women. Maternal and Child Health Journal, Published online: June 8, 2011.
- Rankin KM, Cooper A, Sanabria K, Binns H, Onufer C. Illinois Medical Home Project: Pilot intervention and evaluation. American Journal of Medical Quality, 24(4): 302-9, July/Aug 2009.
- Collins JW Jr., Rankin KM, David RJ. African-American Women's Lifetime Upward Economic Mobility And Preterm Birth: The Effect Of Fetal Programming. American Journal of Public Health, 101(4): 714-9, April 2011.
- Collins Jr JW, David R, Rankin K, Desireddi J. Transgenerational effect of neighborhood poverty on low birth weight among African-Americans in Cook County, Illinois. American Journal of Epidemiology, 169(6): 712-7, Mar 2009.
- Love C, David RJ, Rankin K, Collins JW Jr. Exploring Weathering: Effects of Lifelong Economic Environment and Maternal Age on Birth Outcomes in African American and White Women. American Journal of Epidemiology, 172(2): 127:134, July 2010.
- Schieve L, Rosenberg D, Handler A, Rankin K, Reynolds M. Validity of Self-Reported Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology Treatment Among Women Participation in the Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System in Five States, 2000, Maternal and Child Health Journal, 10(5):427-431, September 2006.
- David R, Rankin K, Lee K, Prachand N, Love C, Collins Jr J. The Illinois Transgenerational Birth File: Life-Course Analysis of Birth Outcomes Using Vital Records and Census Data Over Decades. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 14(1):121-132, Jan 2010.
- Handler A, Rosenberg D, Rankin K, Zimbeck M, Adams K. The Pre-pregnancy insurance status of public aid recipients in the aftermath of welfare reform: women in the Medicaid GAP, Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 17(1): 162-179, February 2006.
- Rankin KM, Rauscher G, McCarthy B, Erdal S, Lada P, Il'yasova D, Davis F. Comparing the reliability of responses to telephone-administered vs. self-administered web-based surveys in a case-control study of adult malignant brain cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention, 17(10), Oct 2008.
- Rosenberg D, Handler A, Rankin KM, Zimbeck M, Adams EK . Prenatal care initiation among very low-income women in the aftermath of welfare reform: does pre-pregnancy Medicaid coverage make a difference? Maternal and Child Health Journal, 11(1): 11-17, January 2007.
- Academic Affairs
- Community and Public Health Practice
- Finance and Resource Planning
- Information Technology
- Research Services
- Student Affairs
- Urban Health and Diversity Programs
To see more SPH Events.