Robert C Bailey
959 Sphpi, M/c 923
1603 W. Taylor St
Chicago, IL 60612
- Ph.D., Harvard Univ, 1985
- MPH, Emory Univ, 1996
- A.B.L.A.S., Harvard Univ, 1969
- HIV/AIDS prevention. Male circumcision as a strategy for HIV/STD prevention. Translational science and operations research. HIV prevention among men who have sex with men in Kenya. Support and care for people living with HIV. Behavioral disinhibition or
- Epidemiology of HIV and STIs, international health, infectious diseases, human growth and nutrition
Public Health Practice Experience
- I serve as a consultant providing technical assistance to African Ministries of Health, the World Health Organization, UNAIDS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and USAID. I also advise MPH and PhD students and junior scholars in Kenya regarding research design and career development. In my capacity of Co-Director of the Chicago Developmental Center for AIDS Research, I collaborate with the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Cook County Department of Public Health and the AIDS Foundation of Chicago.
- Bailey RC, Moses S, Parker CB, Agot K, Maclean I, Krieger JN, Williams CFM, Campbell RT, Ndinya-Achola JO, 2007. Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2007; 369:643-56.
- Bailey RC and Mehta S. Circumcision's place in the vicious cycle between HSV-2 and HIV. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2009;199:923-925.
- Mehta SD, Moses S, Ndinya-Achola JO, Agot K, Mclean I, Bailey RC. Identification of novel risks for non-ulcerative sexually transmitted infections among young men in Kisumu, Kenya. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2007;34:892-899
- Bailey RC, Egesah O, Rosenberg S. Male circumcision for HIV prevention: a prospective study of complications in clinical and traditional settings in Bungoma, Kenya. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2008;86(9):669-677.
- Mattson CL, Campbell RT, Bailey RC, Agot K, Ndinya-Achola JO, Moses S. Risk compensation is not associated with male circumcision: a multi-faceted evaluation of men enrolled in a randomized trial in Kenya. PLoS ONE 2008 Jun 18;3(6):e2443.
- Halperin D and RC Bailey. Male circumcision and HIV infection: ten years and counting. Lancet 1999; 354: 1813-1815.
- Weiss HA, Halperin DT, Bailey RC, Hayes RJ, Schmidt G, Hankins C. Male circumcision for HIV prevention: from evidence to action. AIDS 2008; 22:1-8.
- Westercamp N and Bailey RC, 2007. Acceptability of male circumcision for prevention of HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa: A review. AIDS and Behavior. 2007; 11(3):341-55
- Patterson BK, Landay A, Siegel JN, Flener Z, Pessis D, Chaviano A, Bailey RC, 2002. Susceptibility to human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection of human foreskin and cervical tissue in explant culture. American J of Pathology 2002; 16: 867-873.
- American Journal of Physical Anthropology. Smith JS, Moses S, Hudgens MG, Parker CB, Agot K, Maclean I, Ndinya-Achola JO, Snijders PJ, Meijer CJ, Bailey RC. Increased risk of HIV acquisition among Kenyan men with human papillomavirus infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2010; 201(11):1677-1685.
Recent Honors and Awards
- 2010, UIC Awards and Fellows: Invited Presentation to The UI Board of Trustees
- 2010, National Faculty Honors: Award of Distinction, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory Univ.
- Academic Affairs
- Community and Public Health Practice
- Finance and Resource Planning
- Information Technology
- Research Services
- Student Affairs
- Urban Health and Diversity Programs
To see more SPH Events.