Jennifer M Hebert-Beirne
Clinical Assistant Professor
Community Health Sciences
1603 W. Taylor St
Chicago, IL 60612
- Jennifer's research interests include community health, adolescent and women’s health and community-based approaches to improve health equity and social justice for low income and disenfranchised populations.
- Jennifer teaches core courses for the Masters in Public Health program with a focus on social determinants of health, health equity, qualitative and mixed methods research and assessment, and Community-based Participatory Research.
Public Health Practice Experience
- Jennifer’s research and practice-interests are informed by nearly 10 years as a public health practitioner for the Chicago Department of Public Health and leadership roles at non-profit organizations for health equity, the Wisconsin Center for Health Equity and health promotion including Women’s Health Foundation. As a public health practitioner she has served as a public health planner, senior policy analyst, and program director at the Chicago Department of Public Health. She served as Project Director for the first CDC-funded Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH) project, Director of the Information Research Center and Senior Analyst on the Chicago Health and Health Systems Project. As a community-based researcher she specializes in community-based participatory research (CBPR) and has lead qualitative and mixed methods research projects for several universities and community-based agencies.
- Hatchett, Lena PhD; Hebert-Beirne, Jennifer PhD, MPH; Tenfelde, Sandi PhD, RN, APN; Lavender, Missy D. MBA; Brubaker, Linda MD MS.Knowledge and Perceptions of Pelvic Floor Disorders Among African American and Latina Women.Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery. July/August 2011 - Volume 17 - Issue 4 - pp 190-194
- Lemke, A., Wolf, W., Hebert-Beirne, J., Smith, M. (2010). Public and Biobank Participant Attitudes toward Genetic Research Participation and Data Sharing." Public Health Genomics. 13:368-377.
- Hebert-Beirne, J., Kelley, M.A. (2007) Lessons in Community-Based Research from an Urban Ethnography with Adolescent Mothers. The Association for Community Organization and Social Administration ACOSA Update! Building Community and Administrative Practice in the 21st Century, 21 Issues 1/ 2 Summer/ Fall.
- Levy, S.R., Anderson, E.E., Issel, L.M., Willis, M.A., Dancy, B.L., Jacobson, K.M., Fleming, S.G., Copper, E,S., Berrios, N.M., Sciammarella, E., Ochoa, M., Hebert-Beirne, J. (2004). Using Multilevel, Multisource Needs Assessment Data for Planning Community Interventions Health Promotion Practice, 5, 1, 59-68.
Recent Honors and Awards
- 2011, SPH Golden Apple: TEACHING AWARD SPH PHSA
- Academic Affairs
- Community and Public Health Practice
- Finance and Resource Planning
- Information Technology
- Research Services
- Student Affairs
- Urban Health and Diversity Programs
To see more SPH Events.